Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Wedding Gifts are finally in the house!

We finally have all our wedding gifts! Its a wonderful feeling. We finally have enough dishes and cups that we can go more than two meals without having to run a load of dishes. Now that is what I call fine living.



One of the side-effects of having two wedding receptions was the fact that we received our gifts at two different times. We were able to use our Utah gifts right away, but our Tennessee gifts had the double cons of arriving a month later, and being too numerous and bulky to fit in our suitcases after the whirlwind weekend was over. So, our life in Utah was crock pot and blender-less, and we just dreamed of the day when we would finally have all our appliances and knick-knacks within our walls and not in layaway in TN. That time has finally come.



Now I did enter into our marriage with some kitchen fixings and they had been getting us by, but only barely, for the last couple of months. These were simple dishes that my mother bequeathed to me when I left for college the second time, at the end of the 2008 summer, white plates and bowls, and cups, well maybe. See, my memory of the exact items she gave me is a bit hazy and what happened is that I quickly moved in with three other guys and our possessions were quickly amalgamated into one common, law-of-consecration, community-style collection. Halfway through the year, two of them moved out and two more moved in. Out of the four of us, three continued to live together over the summer and as the fall began, one had married and the other one continued living with me again. Needless to say, it had been a long time since I had actually thought of any of the things in our apartment as strictly being mine. When it came time for me to move into my own apartment with Kortney, I was not confident at all in what was mine and what wasn't. I decided that I would only bring two glasses, of what clearly was a set, because although I had used them a million times by now, how could I actually know that they hadn't been brought to the table once by Steve. I also only brought two of each utensils, and it turned out that they actually weren't mine and I eventually had to return them. I also brought four plates and four bowls with me and thankfully, they actually were mine. Needless to say, I was very excited for our wedding when we would get all new stuff, sadly, the two sets of 20 cups that we received, the plates and the bowls, etc. were all received in TN, and until now we've still only been using four plates and two glasses for going on three and a half months. Let it suffice to say that hosting friends was difficult and often, the guys had to share a glass and the girls had to share a glass.



Well, over Memorial Day we went and visited Kortney's family in TN and we finally got to load up our car and drive all the wonderful booty back to St. Louis with us. This is definitely one of the perks of living in the Midwest. Check out our cupboard!



What a glorious sight!!

We are very happy to finally be able to run a full dishwasher. If you come over and visit us, we won't even make you share a glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment