Monday, January 2, 2012

Eleanor's Story

Eleanor Kathryn Kern
December 11, 2011 at 7:43am
6 lbs 11oz 20 in

I went into labor on Saturday December 10th, 2011 around 6:30pm. I had been having contractions since I was 32 weeks along, but these contractions were different. 

Earlier in the week, at my 37 week appointment, I was dilated to a 4 and 100% effaced. The nurse told me if I got my membranes stripped I would go into labor that night. Unfortunately, Peter had two finals that week and we wanted to prolong labor until at least the weekend. I was sentenced to the couch. I knew our baby girl was not going to wait until Peter's second week of finals was over, so we decided the best time to have her would be between his two finals weeks After Peter's final on Thursday (his last final of his first finals week) I decided it was time to induce labor.

First, I went to my OB and had my membranes stripped. Then, it was three days of being very active. I ran up and down the stairs, I went on walks, I did jumping jacks, I tried everything I knew of to make labor happen. Finally, on Saturday my contractions started. They were moderately painful (more uncomfortable than painful) and 3-5 minutes apart. Then, my water started to leak and I knew it was game time. Peter was at work, so I texted him after 2 hours of contractions and told him it was time to go the hospital. He was happy to get off work without having to do his side work. Ha.

We arrived at labor and delivery around 9:45pm and got comfy in the delivery room. The nurse made sure my water was actually broken, started me on pitocin, and then we played the waiting game. Peter and I watched Tangled and ate snacks (well, I snuck snacks because I wasn't supposed to be eating...oops). 

All I have to say is I am glad my water was broken and they couldn't send me home because I was stuck at 4cm for a LONG time. My contractions were all over the place; I would have no contractions for like 6 minutes and then all of a sudden I would have like 12 in a row, it was really strange. My goal was to wait until I was dilated to a 6 before I got my epidural because I was afraid it would slow down my progress. However, because I wasn't progressing on my own the nurse kept turning up the pitocin higher and higher, and my contractions were getting more and more painful. Finally, I decided I would just go ahead and get the epidural. Peter held my hand because I was a bit scared of the needle. However, at that point the contractions were so painful, I really didn't care about a few shots. Then I was numb and nauseous, but at least I couldn't feel the contractions.

About 15 minutes after I got my epidural the nurse checked me and I was dilated to an 8. 30 minutes later I was dilated to a 10 and about ready to push. The epidural did exactly the opposite of what I though it would do, it regulated my contractions and made me progress so quickly. I wish I would have known that sooner, I would have gotten in right away.

Unfortunately, right when the nurse said I was ready to push she also let me know that it was time for a shift change (6am). I was pretty disappointed because that nurse had been with me this whole time and I really liked her. She said she would let the new nurse know that I was ready to push. After my first nurse left a more elderly woman came slowly shuffling into the room. She seemed nice enough, but I think she might have completely ignored the first nurse because she made me wait an hour before she told me to start pushing. I have no idea why she made me wait and I was getting so impatient with her. Eventually, she came over and had me start to push (7am). The doctor came in after about 30 minutes of pushing and Eleanor was born at 7:43am on December 11, 2011. 

Pushing was definitely hard but honestly I couldn't have asked for a smoother delivery. I didn't have to push all that long and Peter stood next to me and held my leg and talked me through every push, he was wonderful. Eleanor came out pretty quiet and took her time getting around to crying, but once she started crying...dang that baby could cry. Peter cut the umbilical cord and stayed with her as they weighed and measured her. Then, they wrapped her up and brought her over to me and laid her on my chest. She was screaming her little head off, but as soon as she snuggled up to me she stopped crying and I got to just lay there and hold my new perfect little girl. Peter and I couldn't wrap our minds around the fact that we were parents, and that the little baby inside of me for almost 9 months was now in our arms. As the minutes and hours passed by after her birth, I was shocked that my love for her just continued to grow and grow!

Eleanor has been such a blessing, and an amazing addition to our family. Peter and I can't stop staring at her. She is absolutely gorgeous in every way and we have never known love like we do now. Peter had two more finals to take, on top of having a new baby, which left him ridiculously sleep deprived, but that didn't stop him from helping out in any way he could. Peter is the best dad a little girl could ask for and Eleanor is the best daughter a mother could ask for. I can't thank Heavenly Father enough for my perfect little family, I feel so blessed.

Thank you to everyone who took time to visit and meet baby Eleanor. We are so grateful for all your love and support.


  1. What a nice story. Congratulations on your perfect little girl!

  2. We just love her! B still asks about her at least once a day :)